Tandem pilot certificate
If you want to pass on your passion, then become a tandem pilot. With this certificate, you'll be able to fly with a mate.
In Switzerland, there are two levels of training for the tandem pilot certificate:
- Level 1 allows you to fly with licensed pilots or students in training under the supervision of an instructor.
- Level 2 allows you to fly with friends, but for no financial reward
- Level 3 allows you to fly commercially, but must be renewed every three years.
Level 1 certificate
Training includes preparation for the solo tandem practical exam, an instructional flight with a tandem instructor, familiarisation with take-off on a training slope with a tandem wing and at least 20 training flights with a paraglider pilot under the supervision of a tandem instructor. The Tandem 1 practical exam is identical to the solo pilot exam. Once passed, the pilot is awarded a level 1 tandem certificate, which enables him or her to accumulate experience with a view to future commercial flying. The certificate is valid for life.
Procedure for the solo tandem practical exam
The solo tandem practical exam takes place over 2 days, with a maximum of 10 flights to pass the full 7 flights.
Tandem 1 practical test procedure
The Tandem 1 practical test is absolutely identical to the solo test, except that it must be done in a two-seater. Once you have passed it, you are a level 1 tandem pilot. In principle, this certificate is not an end in itself, as it only allows you to take licensed pilots or students in training with you under the supervision of an instructor. Rather, it is a learning stage, allowing you to accumulate experience with a view to future commercial practice.
- 20/flight for coaching for the solo section or a specific “coaching” day for the solo section at a cost of €230, including: briefing, presentation of the documents and the exam, demonstration and coaching for the exam figures.
- 100/flight for tandem flights with an instructor (min. 1 compulsory)
- 30.00/flight if you have bought at least some of your tandem equipment from us, otherwise 50.00/flight.
PLEASE NOTE: you must bring your own passenger, who must be a qualified pilot. If you don’t have anyone to accompany you, the instructor can act as your passenger for 100.00/flight, including supervision.
Level 3 certificate
Training for the commercial certificate is divided into several parts, each of which is assessed by a separate examination. Firstly, there is the partial theory exam, which is similar to that for the solo pilot certificate and covers the five basic elements (flying practice, aerodynamics, weather, laws and equipment), plus a sixth branch on passenger handling.
Once you have passed the theory test, you can begin the 30 flights required to pass the practical test. These flights can be made with a paragliding passenger or a student at the school.
Then there is the compulsory “Passenger Supervision” course, given by the FSVL, which is an integral part of the training. This course can be taken from the start of the Tandem Level 3 training, i.e. as soon as you have obtained your Tandem Level 1 certificate.
Finally, there is the partial Tandem 3 exam, the prerequisites for which are available in the checklists and directives on the FSVL website.
- For the supervision of tandem flights: 30.00/flight if you have bought at least part of your tandem equipment from us, 50.00/flight otherwise.
- If you don’t have anyone to accompany you, the instructor can act as a passenger for 100.00 per flight, including supervision.
Still interested ?
Training sessions take place throughout the year, depending on the weather. As this is an outdoor sport, please contact us so that together we can find the most suitable dates to start your certificate.